The Northern Territory is in a unique position within Australia and globally, with access to some of the largest gas reserves on the planet, combined with plentiful renewable resources, particularly in the form of solar radiation, we are poised to become a “powerhouse” for energy supply in the Asia Pacific region.
Chamber NT welcomes the collaboration and the investments made by both the Federal and NT Governments into critical projects such as the Beetaloo Basin, Middle Arm Industrial Precinct and Suncable all of which will further encourage investment into the development of renewable energy industry capabilities.
Critically, by setting high standards of environmental and regulatory compliance, both the Northern Territory and Federal Governments guidance on the expectations and strategies to transition from gas to renewables safely and efficiently, will result in reduced energy cost pressures on business.
The Chamber’s key focus areas for this sector are:
- Provide a significant contribution to the regions reduction of emissions through affordable and sustainable measures that increase the competitiveness of local business and industries.
- Advocating on behalf of business to improve the short and long term certainty of energy cost and supply.
- Educate business on energy efficiency mechanisms that can reduce costs.
- Improve the transparency of retail energy markets and make it easier for businesses to find a better electricity deal.
- Contribute to decision making that will reduce network and distribution costs.
- Encourage partnerships between government and industry to initiate energy generation storage capabilities for our infrastructure and diversify our grid.
- Advocate for investment in large scale Government planning and investment in electrification, renewables, hydrogen based-fuels, bio energy and carbon capture.
- Investment in waste and recycling industries and associated infrastructure to develop markets for recycled materials and reduce the amount of waste.